Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 41 not upgraded.
After this operation, 4650 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 

It just so happens that I've been blogging long enough that I can say with pretty good confidence that I've been using aptitude for about eight years now. Originally, the aptitude resolver was mostly good enough that in most cases, I could just tell aptitude to mark packages for upgrades, and it'd work; only in a few cases did I have to tell it to find a different solution.

Unfortunately, this is no longer the case; when given a complex problem, aptitude is far too happy to just go ahead and remove packages these days. Sometimes, when I tell it to upgrade package "foo", it'll find that something is uninstallable, and then tell me that by removing package "foo" (but upgrading some of the libraries it depends on) we can get the situation resolved. The resolver has some more bugs, but this really is the worst of it. Recently, I've noticed that nowadays I often find myself fighting aptitude trying to remove packages, to the point that eventually it gives up and I have to retry with "apt-get update" or "apt-get dist-upgrade" or similar. Which then works flawlessly.

I've decided that enough is enough, and I'll just stick with apt-get for now.